Wednesday 22 August 2012

London, as you have never seen it before


When most people get lost in a big city they find a map, or, even easier, ask for directions. But not David Ryan Robinson.

For the graphic designer, 23, decided he would spend six months sketching his own map when he lost his bearings in the big smoke.
 

He has spent hundreds of hours over six months drawing his own map of London, complete with quirky sketches of the capital's biggest landmarks, including the Olympic Park.

His hand-drawn map features central and inner city London with quirky annotations that don't appear on traditional maps.

The Cartoon Network designer said: 'I had just moved to London when I started the map, everything was very new and exciting. We had the Olympics coming up and London was 'the place to be' so I decided to challenge myself and draw a map of the capital.'
 

David, who graduated from the University of Salford last year with a degree in Illustration, printed tube maps and used his light-box to make sure his map was in proportion.

Extracts show the Olympic Stadium, velodrome and Orbit Tower inside the Olympic Park, as well as Buckingham Palace decorated with a crown.
 

It also shows the O2 arena in North Greenwich has a sign saying: 'RIP Millennium Dome' and Shepherd's Bush is annotated with a shepherd.

One of his most detailed parts of the map is London Zoo - which includes animals in the zoo and crowds of tourists.
 

He wrote on his blog: 'Tonight, on Sunday 25th March 2012, I finally finished my map of London. It has taken me about 5 months to complete, but it’s done. I feel like some sort of illustration god right now. I now need to sleep, tomorrow will be the day of scanning and colouring!'

No comments:

Post a Comment